Wednesday, September 17, 2014

TV reports

I just finished this fine three part BBC series on the history of medicine.  It's illuminating, entertaining, and highly educating.  The first episode deals with the history of pain medications, the second on the history of fighting infections, and the third on the history of using poisons as medications.  It's eye opening to learn that it wasn't until the mid 1940's that we finally were able to have penicillin and other antibiotics manufactured and available on a large scale.  This series also reinforced my claim that it's science that will save us and not religions.  I saw this one on Acorn TV.

Finally after 10 years I get to see this gem from Britain.  At it's core it's a whodunit, but it's also a mini musical with several love stories thrown in, the biggest of which is how much the main character, played to perfection by David Morrissey, loves himself.  This one is on HuluPLUS.

 Starlings is exactly the kind of show I would never watch if it had been made and shown on American TV.  But since it's British, I know it's going to be well written and a limited series.  I liked it a lot despite the creepy characters played the the show's creators. And I admit it, I'm crushing on the lovely young brunette Rebecca Night.  Look for this one on HuluPLUS.
This is a very enjoyable police procedural about two female detectives in Manchester England.  The police part of the show is pretty taut and suspenseful and the parts about their personal lives also make this show very entertaining.  I highly recommend it.  This one is on HuluPLUS.

 Really terrific miniseries about the rise of a magazine for 'liberated' women in Australia in the early 1970's.  It's gripping at times and always highly watchable. Asher Keddie is a knock out in this one.  HuluPLUS is where I found this one.
And Asher Keddie is even more terrific in the second series of Offspring, which I'm watching now.  If you haven't see this show it's about a neurotic obstetrician played to perfection by the ultra sexy Keddie, and her fucked up extended family.  I can't recommend this one highly enough.  It's on HuluPLUS too.

No comments: