Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Think about it

It's always white males who are stuffed full of white privilege who demand that everyone stop being so sensitive. I suspect it's because racism, sexism, and the dislike of anything that isn't 'the norm' (US/European centric white maleness), is so ingrained and accepted in our society that many of us just don't see it or simply don't care.
And I speak as a white male who is the beneficiary of centuries of white privilege. But even though I unquestionably benefited from it, that doesn't mean I want others to conform to what I want. I can see a lot of racism and sexism, and I can do things to not be a part of it. Telling people to 'buck up' and to 'stop being so sensitive' is exactly like Joan Rivers shrieking a horrible fat joke at some over wight person and then telling them to grow up or shut up and lose some weight if they don't like it.
As a matter of fact, people DO NOT need to stop being so sensitive, white males need to realize they don't run everything any more and they need stop being raging assholes.

No comments: